Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dave McKean

I grew up on this guys work. The obsession started understandably enough from Sandman. Its actually interesting that how much of my influences start from that one graphic novel collection. Yes. I will admit it before anyone else has to come to the tiresome job of a conclusion. I am a LITTLE obsessed with Neil Gaiman.
 But Dave Mckean has moved beyond that obsession. He has a place of his own in my  gallery of obsessions. Let me put it this way, this guy made look at typography and design composition before I knew what the hell design was. This was the time when in school I used to doodle on classmates hands and they in their infinite wisdom said, "Oh, I bet you'll be a Fashion Designer when you leave school!" and I scoffed. In their defense, they were more clueless about art and design. But still, this guy made me look. Plus his disturbing images also soothes the Photoshop freak in me. But he does it all manually, of course, because he is brilliant, and well, I'm not. I'd say you will understand his true brilliance when you see the titles of the 90's tv series, Neverwhere. It clicked then and it just gets better and better.


































































































































and watch this. how taking the grainy quality of a plain ol video camera to make it work for art. purposely.




















No comments:

Post a Comment